Tuesday, February 2, 2016

FENCES - a review

The book.
I had to read the play "Fences" by August Wilson. I'll be blunt. I had no fondness for this book. It was not an enjoyable read, and the plot is quite confusing. Troy and Bono are friends. Troy has a wife and a son who asks him for money quite a lot. Troy gets into arguments with his wife, son, and friend Bono. Troy cheats on his wife, and his mistress dies.

At least, that's what I think happens. It seems as if they leave a lot of stuff untold. The characters have potential for being great characters, but they don't get developed very much. The plot is moved along quickly, and also suffers from a lack of development.

I'm led to believe this is an important book in history/culture/play-writing, but I don't think so. I don't really enjoy the play, and I do not think I have gained anything by reading it. Of course, this is just my opinion. Plenty of people love this thing.

2/5 (for characters being interesting at first)



Darth Vader  James Earl Jones as Troy

No comments:

Post a Comment